Friday, August 22, 2008

A Gigantic New Fish Species


A giant, six foot long goliath grouper that can weigh 1,000 pounds has been declared a new species. Look at that bloody thing. Amazing.

Nature fascinates me. Always has. In the years before the all-you-can-eat cable stations, I would scour the TV Guide for PBS documentaries about Africa and Jacques Cousteau specials.


Bonjour Monsieur Cousteau


What I really looked for was Disney's True Life Adventures. The True Life Adventures were the pioneering films that led to the Discovery Channel-style of animal programs. They were made from 1948 to 1960. The Disney Channel would show them in the early 80's.

My favorites were The African Lion, The Living Desert and especially Nature's Strangest Creatures. I now own all of them on DVD.

No comments: