Friday, August 22, 2008

YouTube Gems Volume #3

A few discoveries that have caught my attention lately.


Jack Benny and Mel Blanc (the voice of nearly every significant Looney Tunes character) just slaying Johnny Carson.


One of my favorite animated shorts, Disney's version of Casey at the Bat.


The latest song I have learned on my guitar is a very old folk song called Black Jack Davey. The song dates back to around 1720 and has many different versions. In England it is sometimes referred to as the The Gypsy Laddie. Black Jack Davey has been recorded by Woody Guthrie, Burl Ives, Taj Mahal, Pete Seeger and Bob Dylan. This is the White Stripes version.


I saw Harry Anderson perform the needle in the arm gag on television as a kid. This exact version. I was riveted by the macabre trick. I met Harry in the Pike Place Magic Shop as a teenager. He was an incredibly friendly chap.


Come Back is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. It's a poignant and heartfelt ballad. Nobody can sing like Ed.

Sleep warm friends.

JW

No comments: